Princeton University | Princeton, New Jersey
Campus Landmark Transformed
To address modern needs of Dillon Gymnasium, a Collegiate Gothic building at the heart of Princeton’s historic campus, we reprogrammed and redesigned the existing locker room level and simplified circulation from the building’s main entry to the lower level fitness spaces. The renovation, which created new program space for the University’s Division 1 volleyball teams, a new athletic training facility, and recreational locker rooms for men and women, is oriented along a new circulation spine that was carved out of former locker room spaces. The new West Corridor takes advantage of abundant natural light from the existing generously-sized historic casement windows along the building’s West façade. With moveable tables and stools and a 25-foot long solid wood bench, the corridor can also be used as a lounge, and has become a favorite spot for students to meet before or after working out, or to catch up on work between classes.
The building interventions, which are characterized by contemporary materials and details, provide state of the art amenities and facilities, while reflecting the importance and of this distinctive and vital building.
Dillon Gymnasium opened in 1947 on the site of the former gymnasium that was destroyed by fire. Once home to all varsity athletics, Dillon Gymnasium is now mainly used as the headquarters for the Campus Recreation program. It serves a diverse population of students, faculty, alumni, and university employees. In addition to both Men’s and Women’s Locker Rooms, Dillon includes various administrative and varsity athletic coach’s offices, a 1,500 seat gymnasium, squash courts, an 8,000 square foot fitness center, and an Olympic sized swimming pool.
Structural Engineer: Keast & Hood
MEP Engineer: Bruce E. Brooks & Associates
Construction Manager: Irwin & Leighton, Inc.
Photography: Halkin Mason